“Get out while you still can!”, “Get out while the getting is good!”, “Quit while you are ahead!”
We all understand exactly what people are trying to say when these phrases are used. To break them down even more, I tend of think of…”Leave while it is still possible!”, “Leave while you can and have the chance to!”, “Stop doing that because the risk is not worth the reward – something bad will happen!”.
There are numerous examples that we can come up with in order to establish a baseline for ourselves.
- Think about the sinking of the Titanic. It was April 14th, 1912. There is no doubt in my mind that had those people known that the Titanic was going to sink that day, not a single person would have boarded on that ship. Over 1,500 people lost their lives, and it was because of a choice of getting on a ship that was headed for disaster.
- Think about a structure fire. Some are more cautious than others, (I am guilty of this!), but when you smell smoke, most tend to go look for the source. There are all kinds of scenarios that could be thought of but for this example, we are going to use heavy smoke as the example. From my own experience alone, if you are inside an enclosed structure, and you see heavy smoke, the best thing to do is get out right away! We all know the saying, “where there is smoke, there is fire”.
- Think about teenage children who think that it is in their best interest to argue back and forth with their parents. It may appear cute in the moment and who knows, the teenager could be right for a change but that doesn’t mean that what they are doing and how they are doing it is right. What is typically said to them when they keep barking back? “You better quit while you are ahead!”
This is not an exhaustive list, but I believe the point is understood. When it comes to our physical well-being, we are extremely cautious. I am sure that you have seen a “Beware of Dog” sign so why would you be shocked if a dog came out to where you are? It wouldn’t shock most people and yet there are still those who would lose their mind that an actual dog is present on the property even after being warned about it! There is a question that we need to ask ourselves. Why is there a lack of concern for our spiritual well-being?
Matthew 10:28 And do not be afraid of those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
The Bible gives us a clear warning. We need to get out of sin while we still can because Jesus will return. If we are still in sin, we will face the consequences.
2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.
Hebrews 10:26-27 For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a terrifying expectation of judgment and the fury of a fire which will consume the adversaries.
Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.
More often than not, our attitude does not merely suggest, it proves that we do not take sin seriously. There are many reasons why and some may “appear” more noble than others, that does not make it anymore right. Allow me to give a few examples.
- I am faithful to my spouse, but if other people are cheating on their spouse because they are “no longer happy” with their current spouse, then I applaud and support them for making themselves happy.
- I am not LGBTQ+, but I value and support LGBTQ+.
- I am not a rebel, but I support those who wish to overthrow the government.
We may not be committing the acts of overthrowing the government, a practice within the LGBTQ+ community, or committing adultery. If we applaud and support those who do such things, we are just as guilty as they are! (Romans 1:32)
With that said, I want you all to understand that I am not saying that we are not to love these people. If we do not love these people, we are just as guilty in the eyes of God. There is no excuse for not loving them. Acceptance and love are two different things.
All this said, we have no need for being discouraged. The work of Christ gives us the ability to overcome and to get out of sin. Many of you who read this article have taken steps in the right direction for getting out of sin. I hope that this serves as a reminder to never count on tomorrow coming in order to get out of sin because tomorrow may never come. (James 4:14-17)
Revelation 3:5 He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before his angels.
I pray that your name is in the book of life. Allow God to work in your life while you have opportunity because in eternity, you will be thankful that you submitted to God.